Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My first quilt!

I'm designing a window display on Woodward Avenue in anticipation of the Final Four coming to Detroit. My team has 3 windows. Of course, I'm using mine to promote the glamorous life of thrift! The beauty of coordinating my window with my return to frugality and simplicity is that everything will be reused (can't wait to stuff my precious cashmere in the cedar lined hope chest!), recycled (I will re-roll the wrapping paper covering the floors and walls and make dresses from the curtains!) or returned (items from the thrift stores will go right back).

Learning a traditional skill, such as sewing, can have numerous money-saving and -accruing benefits. I could dedicate more than a few posts to this subject. It's all about learning for earning.

Dressing windows is really fun and I'm lucky to find opportunities to do it. In Detroit, there are so many barren and forgotten windows. I think it would be prudent to get more artists, small businesses, non-profits, school classrooms, etc. to use the windows to display their talents. Let's improve the streetscapes. We'll sign the liability forms, we'll clean up our mess (and theirs!). They're just sitting there, waiting for someone to love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment